Quince Cardamom Tapioca Pudding with Homemade Crumbles - Have a Sweet Weekend!



Forgive me for posting a winter dessert today. I was looking for quinces all winter, unable to find them; a couple of days ago finally I got lucky, and here it is.

This recipe comes from many inspirations and memories. I remember one aroma from my childhood when my mother made compote from quince and it was so magically wonderful. I remember eating crepes with quince jam, the best breakfast ever. I never cooked tapioca before so I like to experiment with it and recently I discovered that I love cardamom-)))

This dessert is scrumptious, It takes some time to prepare, and worthwhile every minute of it. I hope you like it as much as I did, save it for next year when quinces are in season or you can make it with pears or peaches, which is certainly going to be  a summer dessert!

Tapioca Quince Dessert 1

Serves 6
Ingredients:

For the poached quinces:

  • 3 quinces, peeled, cored and quartered
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 tsp ground cardamom pods
  • 5 cloves
  • 1/4 cup (50gr) sugar
  • 1 tsp allspice berries
  • 1/2 lemon
Tapioca Quince Dessert 2

For the vanilla tapioca:
  • 2/3 cup large tapioca pearls
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp  ground cardamom
Tapioca Quince Dessert 3
For the crumble:
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/4 cup white oatmeal flour
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • OR 3/4 cup all purpose flour instead if not baking gluten free
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons almond milk
Tapioca Quince Dessert 13 Tapioca Quince Dessert 14

Directions:

Prepare the cardamom tapioca:
In a medium bowl, soak the tapioca pearls in the water for an hour. Drain and discard the water. In a large saucepan set over medium heat, bring the tapioca, milk, honey and cardamom to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer 20-25 minutes or until the tapioca looks translucent. Remove from the heat and place a piece of plastic wrap right on top to prevent a skin from forming as it cools.

Tapioca Quince Dessert 7

Prepare the quinces:
Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover the quinces. Bring the content of the pot to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low, place a lid halfway over the pot and simmer for 40 minutes to an hour, or until the quinces are soft when you poke a knife through them. Mash the quince with syrup and reserve.

Tapioca Quince Dessert 9

Prepare the crumble:
Position a rack in the upper third of an oven and preheat to 350°F. Coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix with your fingertips or a fork until the mixture resembles large beads. Spread the beads on the prepared baking sheet and bake, tossing them every so often as they become golden brown for 20 minutes. Let the crumbles cool.

Tapioca Quince Dessert 6

When ready to serve, spoon the quince mixture into the bottom of each of 6 glasses, dividing it evenly. When the tapioca is completely cool, divide it in between the serving glasses on top of the quince mix. Sprinkle with crumbles, again dividing evenly.


Note: You might have leftover crumbles, you can crumble it up over oatmeal for breakfast or over ice cream.

Tapioca Quince Dessert 11

5 comments:

La Cuisine d'Helene said...
April 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM  

What a nice dessert. You always have the most beautifu pictures :)

Marina said...
April 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM  

I've never made anything with tapioca, now I shell try. Have a sweet weekend too, dear friend!

Unknown said...
April 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM  

Your photos are beautiful. I've never cooked with quince and have actually only seen quince in person while in France. I'll have to keep my eye out for it here in Texas. I've also never cooked with tapioca so this recipe really intrigues me. It looks absolutely delicious!

Unknown said...
April 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM  

We're from France so we grew up with quince in the house. I have memories of the aroma as well. I have to admit though, I've never been a tapioca fan (it's a texture thing). That being said, your photos and recipe make me willing to give it a try again. Gorgeous.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...
August 3, 2012 at 6:44 AM  

A stunning pudding! Linking back to this today :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...