Russian Monday: Honey Poppy Seed Roll - Bread



From ancient time collection of honey and poppy in Russia began on the same day - August 14, the day of the First Savior, first day of the harvest season. This day was celebrated with honey cakes, pancakes with poppy and honey, buns and pirogues with poppy seeds. Special pancake dipping was made of finely grinded poppy seeds and honey. If poppy seeds were sprinkled around the house on that day, house would be protected from evil eye for the whole year. Girls used to weave poppy flowers into their hair in order to make hair strong and beautiful.

For more Russian recipes, visit Russian Cuisine page.



Ingredients:

  • 4 cups (500g) unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup (270ml) warm milk
  • 7 Tbsp. butter (100g), melted
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 egg yolk plus 1 Tbsp. water for egg wash to finish the roll
  • 1 can (12.5 oz.) poppy seed cake and pastry filling (I used SOLO)
  • powdered sugar (optional)

Directions:

Make the dough using this recipe. For one honey poppy seed roll you need 1/2 dough. You may use the rest of the dough later of wrap it and freeze it.

Preheat the oven to 350F.

After the dough is ready, place it to a floured work surface. Roll the dough into a rectangle about 0.2 inch thick. Spread the honey over, then spread the poppy seed filling over the dough, leaving 1/2 inch edge. Roll the dough into a cylinder, place it the seam side down on a baking sheet, covered with parchment paper. Make a wheel out of it, carefully pressing the edges together. Cover with a towel and let rest for about 15 minutes.

Using a sharp knife, make cuts on a top of the roll. Brush the roll with the egg wash and place in the oven. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden-brown. Let cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving. Serve warm or cooled, dusted with powdered sugar.


13 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
October 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM  

Divine and addictive!

Cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...
October 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM  

Now I want to make this:)

I need that filling though..
I have tasted this quite a few times..I love it..Not yours mind you..but I bet it is beeter than what I have had!

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
October 29, 2013 at 1:57 AM  

Oh yes.. I love this roll with a lot of poppy seed and having it with milk :)

Nicole said...
October 29, 2013 at 2:09 AM  

oooh, I love poppyseed anything! This looks amazing.

Karen Harris said...
October 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM  

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Your comment led me back here to you and I am so glad it did. Your photos are mouthwatering. I can't wait to make this recipe. Love yeast breads and poppyseed filling.

Shema George said...
October 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM  

Looks so good...I love any kind of bread...this looks stunning!
I have never used poppy seed filling...so glad to learn new things!

Julia said...
October 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM  

When I saw this post on Facebook, I knew this bread would be a real treat! It looks so gorgeous. Yeast breads with poppy seed filling were always a very special treat in our family, made only during Easter time. I wish I had a slice of this right now!

Natalie said...
October 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM  

This looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll definitely be making it.

Nippon Nin said...
November 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM  

Looks so wonderful! I love that kind of treat.

DrBuoux said...
November 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM  

This looks killer. Poppy seed cake is a delight. Ken

Marilyn said...
January 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM  

I don't understand how thin should you roll the dough???thank you, I am going to make in the morning. Mari

Unknown said...
January 12, 2014 at 5:48 PM  

Marilyn, you should roll the dough as thin as you can,
about 0,7 cm.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...