My Neighbors, a Bottle of Vinegar and Marinated Mushrooms.

4_Vinegar

Although  I am far from being a professional writer, I’m often compelled to tell a story every now and then. This story is about my world, how I see it, the people that care about me, how I care for them, and about the precious moments in the life of my children.

1_Vinegar

My family lives in a small house and sometimes I have an urge to move. But even if one day  Ishould  find my dream house, I would not be able to take my neighbors with me. We became very close. Different people, different cultures, but one thing in common - we care about each other. If we go on a trip and the kids are staying with their grandmother, I always know that they will have plenty of milk, eggs and bread. My grass will be cut and my cat will be fed. We exchange presents on holidays; we always share the most delicious food and we laugh together.

5.1_Vinegar

Our neighbors have a wonderful vegetable garden with tomatoes, pumpkins, and cucumbers. It also has an amazing variety of herbs: rosemary, thyme, dill, fennel, basil (purple and green) and mint, but not just any mint -  lemon mint, peppermint mint, and chocolate mint. And of course the lavender, after all what garden can be without such an aromatic beauty.

2_Vinegar

From time to time, I find lovely gifts on my doorstep. It can be a bowl of cherry tomatoes, bread with shallots, bunch of herbs or even a flower.

3_Vinegar

Few days ago, I found a ruby red bottle with delicious homemade vinegar. Oh, the aroma of the garlic and basil immediately makes imagine all of the possible dishes that I could cook with it.
I come up with this recipe that I'd like to share it with you. And we are not going to eat that alone tonight.
Guess who is coming to dinner :-))

8.1_Marinated_mushrooms

Ingredients for marinated mushrooms:
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 pounds baby portobello or button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
  • 1/3 cup homemade vinegar
  • 3-4 shallots, sliced
  • 1 small bunch fresh thyme
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6_Vinegar

Ingredients for homemade vinegar:
  • shallots
  • garlic
  • garden herbs - red basil, fennel
  • pepper
2.1_Marinated_mushrooms

Directions for marinated mushrooms:

Add 1/4 cup olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.

6_Marinated_mushrooms

Add the mushrooms and cook them for about 3 minutes.

1_Marinated_mushrooms

Stir in shallots, then the homemade vinegar and thyme.

7_Marinated_mushrooms

Pour over the remaining olive oil and season the mixture with salt and pepper.

5_Marinated_mushrooms

Pour into a bowl and allow to cool. Serve at room temperature.


4_Marinated_mushrooms

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
August 27, 2011 at 2:48 AM  

Isn't it lovely to have neigbours liek that.Although I can not complain..I have godo neigbours aswell.We mostly exchange produce taht we do not have in our gardens;)

The Culinary Lens said...
August 28, 2011 at 5:52 AM  

Good recipes but your still lives are fantastic

restful.us said...
August 29, 2011 at 5:52 PM  

With the amount of love your neighbors have shown, they might as well decide to move with you! Never know. :)

Homemade vinegar sounds perfect. All shop varieties seem to contain sulphur nowadays, which I'm not particularly fond of, and no one probably should. I wonder if homemade ones contain any preservatives of this type?

Have a bright day!

Unknown said...
August 29, 2011 at 10:15 PM  

Dear restful.us,
I am not sure how it's done, but I will ask my neigbour next time I will see him.

Thank you for kind comment, your blog is so interesting and your words are beautiful!

Kim K. said...
September 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM  

What a wonderful post! And your photos? Simply beautiful! Saw your pic on FPD, and had to check out the mushroom recipe, but I truly enjoyed your whole post. So nice to "meet" you!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...