Rose Water Meringue Kisses with Chocolate



BLUE-BELLS IN THE SHADE by Eliza Cook 

"The choicest buds in Flora's train, let other fingers twine ; 
Let others snatch the damask rose, or wreath the eglantine. 
I'd leave the sunshine and parterre, and seek the woodland glade, 
To stretch me on the fragrant bed of blue-bells in the shade. 

Let others cull the daffodil, the lily, soft and fair, 
And deem the tulip's gaudy cup most beautiful and rare ; 
But give to me, oh ! give to me, the coronal that's made 
Of ruby orchis mingled with the blue-bells from the shade. 

The sunflower and the peony, the poppy bright and gay, 
Have no alluring charms for me ; I'd fling them all away. 
Exotic bloom may fill the vase, or grace the high-born maid ; 
But sweeter far, to me, than all, are Blue-bells in the shade."

Kisses 2

Tip: Make sure not to make meringue on a humid day, as they tend to leech on to any moisture and will not set up properly or stay crisp. After they baked you need store the meringue cookies in an airtight container away from any heat or moisture. 

Ingredients:

  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon rose water extract (or another flavor, if preferred)
  • food coloring, optional
  • 5 oz chocolate, melted and cooled

Kisses 1

Directions:

Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar. Place the bowl on top of a medium sauce pan filled with a couple of inches of barely simmering water and set over medium heat. Gently whisk the mixture constantly until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Pour the egg mixture into a clean bowl. Using a whisk attachment on a stand mixer or a hand held mixture, slowly beat egg mixture. Gradually increase speed and continue to beat mixture until stiff peaks have almost formed. Mixture is ready when whisk attachment dipped into mixture leaves a curled but stiff peak when removed. Gently stir in the extract and food coloring, if using.

Fill a pastry bag with the meringue, and pipe small star shapes onto prepared baking sheets.

Bake cookies until crisp but not brown, about 1 hour 40 minutes. Let cool completely in the oven with the door slightly ajar. Once the meringues have cooled to room temperature, sandwich 2 meringues together with 1/2 teaspoon melted chocolate. Repeat with remaining meringues. 


Kisses 3

10 comments:

RecipeNewZ said...
May 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM  

I just found your blog through the DMBLGiT roundup. I am so glad I discovered it - you have so many beautiful recipes! You have a new fan :-).

I would like to invite you to share this post (and other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched this month. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author's site.

It's called RecipeNewZ (with Z) - http://recipenewz.com

I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

Sashquatch said...
May 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM  

Oh wowww, your photos are simply stunning! What a gorgeous post indeed

Marina said...
May 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM  

Those kisses are so-so cute! It puts a smile on my face! :) Thanks, my dear friend! Have a great week!

Unknown said...
May 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM  

What gorgeous styling and photographs, amazing work!


http://heartofgoldandluxury.blogspot.com/

Best,
Alison

Lea said...
May 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM  

These look yummy. Beautiful pictures.
Looks like zefir I posted on my blog.
http://leascooking.blogspot.com/

Alessandra said...
May 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM  

These are just lovely! I am following you now, and pin you photos too :-)!!!

Ciao
Alessandra

http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.co.nz/

Anonymous said...
May 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM  

delicate and beautiful!

hopefull said...
December 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM  

Hi... going to try this recipe. I am hoping to make them for the childrens cancer unit Christmas party. will let you know, how it worked out for me.

Unknown said...
December 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM  

Dear hopefull, I hope they will be one of the favors for everybody! Can not wait to hear your story.

mollymell said...
April 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM  

I love merengues, called 'suspiros' in Portuguese. Coincidentely I made some yesterday. They were delicious, but not as pretty as yours. As always I love your photos...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...