Chilled Summer Soup from Young Beets



There can hardly be a more delightful way to start a summer lunch or al fresco dinner than with a refreshing chilled soup. Borscht from Young Beets is a healthy vegetarian soup, which just good served on hot day.

Cold Borscht 1

Adapted from “A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes,” by David Tanis

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 pounds beets
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • fresh fennel
  • crumbled feta for serving

Cold Borscht 3
Directions:

Peel and slice the beets and put them in a large saucepan. Cover with 4-5 cups water and add the garlic, red onion, bay leaf, cloves, cayenne, sugar, vinegar, oil and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the beets are tender. Check the seasoning of the broth. It should be distinctly sweet, sour, peppery and flavorful. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and cayenne if necessary, and freshly ground pepper. Cool slightly.

Remove the bay leaf. Purée the soup well in a blender, then strain into a large bowl. Chill in the refrigerator or over ice until cold.

To serve, pour into small water glasses. Garnish with freshly ground pepper and, if desired, fresh fennel and crumbled feta.


Cold Borscht 6

7 comments:

sandra said...
July 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM  

Oh my Yelena, I adore beets, and this looks absolutely divine; a must try ~ Kudos, and spectacular photography as usual dear lady!!

Marina said...
July 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM  

Mmm, beet soup, I just made one tonight. But I didn't puree it, my family won't eat anything puree except potatoes... :) Lovely presentation and is that a Le Creuset pot?! :)

Unknown said...
July 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM  

Yes, Marinochka, that is a Le Creuset pot! My husband bought me a pot a set of Le Creuset dishes. So nice of him)))

Cathleen said...
July 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM  

This looks delicious! I have never tried cold soup before! I have tried borscht, but it has always been hot..

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
July 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM  

Since I'm relatively new to your blog, I enjoy browsing your posts that I've missed. Today I realized that your use of colors is really amazing. It's something I'm lacking and I need to improve. By the way, I was going to ask you and keep forgetting, but do you have email subscription? I may not pay attention to the right place, but I can't find it... I love your beautiful chilled soup!

Unknown said...
July 13, 2012 at 7:44 PM  

Thank you , Nami, for recognizing my photography! I am doing food photography for about a year, and I still working on my style, but colors is my strong side, I think-)) Yes, I have email subscription, it's on the right side of my blog, before Blog Archive.

Unknown said...
August 16, 2013 at 12:55 AM  

What an amazing chilled summer soup and I am really crave this recipes in the summer.pretty AWESOME! Since when I find ur blog, I am all over this! Thanks! I had featured u in the article of Top 7 Mouthwatering Soup Recipes For Your Fitness And A Bit Dash Of Life on AllFreshRecipes. Looking forward ur newly EATS!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...