Melon Jam with Candied Ginger and Lemon Peel



There is something magical about making jam at home with ingredients that you planted and harvested yourself. It brings back memories from my childhood. We did not have the sweets readily available at the store year round. Thus, my mother would preserve the berries for the cold and snowy winter days. It was a bliss to have the fresh berries in syrup over homemade crepes for breakfast. As a mother myself I use different and unique recipes every year for my children. There are always various sweet pleasures in a jar stored in my pantry, such as strawberry with chocolate mint, sour cherry jam, pears with vanilla beans and apricot with lavender among others. In the fall I even make jams from different varieties of pumpkin. 

This summer I wanted to try something new and unique. I had a batch of honey dew melons that gave off a deliciously sweet aroma when you cut them. I wanted to enjoy this taste during the change of seasons and decided to use them in a new jam recipe. When I was making it last night - the house became filled with the sweet honey taste that lingered in the air. I hope that you will try making this and enjoy it with your own family during your mornings or giving it as a holiday gift to your loved ones.

Melon Jam 3

Serves: 3 jars (250ml each)

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium honeydew melon, seeds & skin removed, diced to 1/4-inch cubes
  • 60% of the melon weight in sugar 
  • 1 organic lemon, juice and peel (cut thin slices of lemon rind)
  • candied ginger, cut it in thin slices about 2 Tbsp.

Directions:

In a big bowl mix together the melon, lemon juice, lemon peel, ginger and sugar. Stir well. Let them macerate in the fridge for 12 hours.

When ready, drain the pulp and put it in a smaller bowl. Put the juice and sugar (by now they are well mixed) in a large pan (cast iron, heavy stainless steel, or copper), and bring slowly to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the pulp and cook 30 more minutes, or until melon cubes become translucent and liquid has thickened.

A good way to check if jam is done: pour a little of the cooking liquid onto a cold plate. If the cooled liquid wrinkles slightly when touched, the jam is ready. Serve jam on scones or toast, or with pâtés and fine cheeses on bread, or over plain yogurt.


Melon Jam 4

7 comments:

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
August 25, 2012 at 3:47 AM  

Beautiful color and texture! And the taste sounds very interesting, pleasure for the taste buds :)

Nancy said...
August 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM  

Wow, how wonderful to make a treat with ingredients you grew. It sounds like you are helping your children carry on the same memories you have from your mother:) I'm really loving this unique jam recipe, never seen anything like it. It simply must be tried, thanks for sharing:)

Anonymous said...
August 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM  

the recipe says honeydew, but the pictures show a cantaloupe, will either melon work?

Unknown said...
August 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM  

Yes, it will, but the color will be different.

chow and chatter said...
August 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM  

wow love this and knew to me

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
August 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM  

You have a nice memory of your mom making homemade preserves. That's one thing that I need to work on eventually. I think it's wonderful to use homemade jams throughout the year and I can imagine it is a fun family event to make it. I've never tasted melon jam and I'm very curious now how it's like. Love the color of honey dew. I can easily finish half by myself... :)

Marina said...
August 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM  

This is a rock jam! Brilliant! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...