Pan-Roasted Chicken with Italian Seasonings and Dried Cèpe Gravy



Note: Serve this sauce from Dried Cèpes using slices of roasted chicken arranged around the potatoes and brussels sprouts as a garnish and side dish. Dried cèpes usually come in 1/2 to 1-ounce packages, sliced. The much rarer Polish mushrooms can be found as whole caps. You must simmer the whole mushrooms longer than the sliced ones, and you'll have to slice them before use.

Note: Ariosto Italian seasoning chicken is a blend of classic Italian herbs. With Ariosto Italian seasoning you can quickly and easily seasoning many dishes. This seasoning contains the essential taste of Italy. If you don't have it you can mix together salt, rosemary, garlic, sage, juniper, laurel, oregano, thyme, marjoram, basil.

Roasted Chicken and Gravy 4

Ingredients:

For pan-roasted chicken:


For the Dried Cèpes sauce: Inspired by A Cook's Book of Mushrooms
  • 1 oz Porcini mushrooms (Cèpes)
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. arrowroot mixed in 1/3 cup cold water

Roasted Chicken and Gravy 3

Directions:

Preheat an oven to 400ºF.

Season the chicken breasts generously on both sides with Ariosto seasoning. In a large ovenproof fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Place the chicken breasts, skin-off side down, in the pan and sear until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a pan, skin-off side up and transfer to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a breast, registers 160ºF, 22 to 24 minutes.

Place the cèpes and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Let simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet sauté the onion in the butter until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the cèpes and their liquid, salt, sugar, and soy sauce. Reduce to 2 cups. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve, then place in the saucepan over medium heat. Add the arrowroot mixture and stir until thickened. You may return the mushrooms to the sauce, but I did not, I like to have clear gravy this time with mushroom taste. Serve over roasted chicken, roasted potatoes and steamed brussels sprouts.


Roasted Chicken and Gravy 2

7 comments:

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
September 17, 2012 at 11:56 PM  

Oh it looks beautiful and inviting! I would probably skip brussels sprouts :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
September 18, 2012 at 2:01 AM  

Sigh... your blog has the best pictures and the food looks so real! I love how you carefully plated thinking about the colors for each props. It's amazing work, Yelena!

Marina said...
September 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM  

Did you mean Belye Griby when you said Polish mushrooms? That would be fantastic with your meal indeed! :) I agree with Nami, your work is amazing. From some photos I feel a strong vibe of St.Petersburg, even a very specific places there... Don't ask me why, it's unexplainable...:)

Unknown said...
September 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM  

Thank you girls, your comments always bring me joy and they are helping me with my work!

Unknown said...
September 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM  

Since the Ariosto seasoning you mentioned is not very easy to find in my local grocery, what would you suggest as an alternative seasoning, or do you have any suggestions on where to find it?

Unknown said...
September 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM  

Dear Susan, If you don't have it you can mix together salt, rosemary, garlic, sage, juniper, laurel, oregano, thyme, marjoram, basil. I have the seasonings from http://www.ariosto.it/ITALIAN%20SEASONING.html They are shipping to USA. You can mix your own, if you like :-) If you live near me I can give you a pack of seasonings.

According to Me said...
November 7, 2012 at 6:08 PM  

Oh dear. I am now finding myself just about pinning all of your meals to my Pinterest board so I can try them. They all look EXTREMELY tasty and I seriously feel like if I look at any more, I'll be licking my screen! Thank you for the recipes and making me want a second dinner. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...