Salmon Soufflé and Scheurebe



This lovely dish can be served year-round, for lunch or dinner. Your guests will be impressed with this Salmon Soufflé on a chilly October evening, as it is rich and warming.

Salmon Souffle and Wine 1

I discovered Scheurebe wines from Germany recently. They are a good addition to Rieslings that we usually get from that region. Wine from Weingut Pfeffingen winery is especially delicious. My husband found a bottle at the "Last Bottle Deal" rack in our local wine store. That is the only way to get it locally without feeling guilty for paying the full price. He spoiled me with good wine and I like it. The freshness and crispiness of Rieslings combined together with the intense aromas of Scheurebe was a perfect pairing for the Salmon Soufflé that I made last night. We had an incredible evening full of romantic talks and many laughs.

Salmon Souffle and Wine 2 Salmon Souffle and Wine 5

Ingredients:

For the poached salmon:

  • 2 (about 12 oz.) skinned salmon fillet
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. dry white wine
  • 1 tsp thyme

For the soufflé:
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. shallots, chopped 
  • 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • sea salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 5 egg whites
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped 
  • 3 Tbsp. grated Gruyère cheese

Directions:

To poach salmon, fill medium shallow saucepan or skillet with enough water to cover about two-thirds of the salmon fillet. Bring water to a gentle boil over medium heat. Add the wine, thyme, salt, pepper and salmon, cook 10 minutes or until salmon just begins to flake. Remove salmon from poaching water and cool. Flake into bite-sized pieces.

Meanwhile, heat oven to 400°F. Get ready 4-6 ramekins, I didn't grease mine.

Melt the butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent. Whisk in flour, and season with pepper and salt. Gradually whisk in milk in steady stream. Reduce heat to low and continue whisking until smooth. Simmer, stirring occasionally about  5 minutes or until sauce is very thick. Remove pan from heat. Whisk in egg yolks until smooth and creamy. Whisk in parsley and dill and let cool slightly. Gently stir in cheese and salmon.

Place egg whites in a large bowl and beat at medium-high speed until stiff but moist peaks form.

Stir one-fourth of the beaten egg whites into salmon mixture. Carefully fold in remaining egg whites. Divide mixture among ramekins and bake 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F. Continue baking 15 to 20 minutes or until soufflé is puffy and golden brown, and wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Serve immediately.


Salmon Souffle and Wine 4

14 comments:

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
October 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM  

This looks like a royal food! :)

Anonymous said...
October 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM  

Beautiful post - amazing pics and stunning recipe :)

Marina said...
October 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM  

If I ever again get my hands on salmon, first thing I am going to eat it salted or baked, then I will make tonns of this soufle and invite my friends, including you! :) Great recipe, great photos!

Anonymous said...
October 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM  

This looks wonderful!

I was wondering though, what camera do you use to take such vibrant photos? The focus is amazing!

Gwen said...
October 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM  

I could eat salmon every single day and be a happy girl. I'd never thought to make it as a souffle. I will have to give this a go.

Thanks for the wine pairing!
xo

Unknown said...
October 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM  

This looks amazing! I really enjoyed reading through the recipe to see how this is made. I think the flavor and texture of salmon in a souffle would be so yummy. And the photos...nothing short of exquisite!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
October 10, 2012 at 3:12 AM  

I know you "staged" all of your dishes, yet I am pretty sure your everyday table looks wonderful with your food and all kinds of beautiful dishes you have. You mention you want to do cookbook, and I really think you should. I'd be the first one waiting in line to grab a copy. Your pictures can be post cards and print too. So beautiful to look at (but make me hungry every time I look). I've never had salmon souffle but I am sure my fish loving family will love this. So beautiful...

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...
October 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM  

Stunning Soufflé linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Self Sagacity said...
October 26, 2012 at 9:33 PM  

I see the wine, I like it already! Wonderful photos as well.

tammy said...
December 29, 2012 at 12:09 AM  

If you wanted to bake this in 1 single souffle dish, how long would you bake it and at what temperature? Thank you.

Unknown said...
December 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM  

Dear tammy, thank you for visiting. If I bake a single dish, I would bake it at the same temperature, for about 35-40 minutes.

Christine Free said...
January 28, 2013 at 12:37 AM  

This was so delicious. Thank you! I even omitted the dairy out of the recipe and it was still super yummy. I used a substitute for the whole milk and didn't add cheese. I will cook it again!

Anonymous said...
November 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM  

Sounds delicious and photos are gorgeous. I'm going to make this and let you know how it went. Thanks.

Unknown said...
March 15, 2014 at 12:06 PM  

BOA tarde estou completamente rendida nunca foi dedicada a cozinha mas acho que vou passar a ser adorei o blog e vou passar a seguir.
Beijinhos de Portugal
As fotos são lindas, os ingredientes tudo é uma delicia
visite o meu blog e participe se quiser é de decoração mas as vezes também publico receitas.
Beijinhos
Alexandra Melo

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...