Red Beet Pancakes with Sweet Grape Sauce



My family loves beets and I cook them quite often. In my recipe box I got "Roasted beets", "Whole Wheat Linguine with Roasted Beet Puree", "Pickled beets" and variety of soups with beets. When I got up today, I was completely out of ideas of what to cook. After doing some inventory of my fridge I found 3 pretty good looking beets and put them immediately into the oven to roast. While they were roasting, I have checked my email, read some news and decided to prepare healthy lunch with a twist :) What can I say...? It came out delicious! Rustic and earthy pancakes with light and sweet grape wine sauce. My husband had three of these beauties, and they are not little pancakes :) Don't believe me? Try it! You will thank me later. Have a beautiful Friday and an amazing weekend, my dear readers!

Beet Pancakes 1

This pancake batter combines all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour, and a quinoa flour that has a nutty, slightly sweet flavor and firm texture. A warm sauce made from fresh grapes adds the perfect finishing touch.

Ingredients:

For the roasted beets:

  • 2-3 small red beets, cleaned from leaves and stalks removed
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 cup of water

For the pancake batter:
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 eggs

For the grape sauce:
  • 2 cups dark grapes
  • 1 Tbsp. agave syrup or honey
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2/3 cup white wine

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the beets in a glass or ceramic baking dish. Mix with the olive oil and water. Cover with foil. Bake until the beets are tender through, about 1 hour. Let cool. Peel the beets and cut into chunks. Add to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process to a rough puree. Set aside.

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the grapes, agave syrup or honey, cinnamon and wine. Bring to a simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes. Keep it warm until ready to use.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Mix with a fork until well blended. In another bowl mix together the beet puree, milk, yogurt and eggs.

Add the egg-beet mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until combined.

Cook the pancakes using a 10-inch cast-iron pan. Rub the pan with butter. Cook until the edges are set and bubbles appear in the center of the pancake, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully flip the pancakes and cook on the other side until golden, about 1 minute more.

Serve warm with grape sauce and whipped cream.


Beet Pancakes 3

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
March 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM  

Very original. Those pancakes are great and must taste really good.

Cheers,

Rosa

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
March 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM  

what a color! Looks wonderful!

Marina said...
March 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM  

I have a fermented beet salad for your collection! Beautiful pancakes! :)

Unknown said...
March 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM  

These look so ridiculously yummy I can't even take it! It doesn't help that I am typing this on an empty stomach. Thanks for sharing :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Anonymous said...
March 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM  

Pinned these to a Pinterest board, I hope to make these in the near future!

Anonymous said...
March 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM  

Pinned these to a Pinterest board, I hope to make these in the near future!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...