Turnip Soup with Carrot Crisps



The spring is here, I can feel it! The birds are singing and the air is so fresh. I love the early mornings, when I come down to my patio to check out the weather and I can feel how the earth is waking up after a long sleep. But before we all dive into yellow colors, Easter eggs and pink flowers I would like to say good bye to the winter, to those cold days when we were sharing great food with our dear friends by the fireplace, to winter holidays and to snowflakes (we had snow only 3 times this winter), and many more unforgettable moments of the past season. We had a long walk with my daughter in Taylor Park on a beautiful sunny and warm day, and yet the presence of winter is still here. We are in a middle of season change and I love the times when winter is holding hands with spring.

Park 20 Spring Park 18 Park 19 Park 3 Park 15 Park 9 Park 12 Park 13 Park 6 Park 1

Very soon we are going to plan spring menus with greens and berries, salads and chilled soups, but before that I would like to share with you one more dish which represents to me an essence of the passed cold days - Turnip Soup with Carrot Chips.

Turnip Soup 1

Ingredients:

  • 3-4 small turnips, white or purple, peeled and cubed, about 3 cups
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 3-4 cups vegetable stock or water
  • 1/4 tsp White Pepper
  • salt to taste
  • 1 cup milk or cream
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 medium carrot
  • canola oil for frying carrot chips
  • Black Hawaiian Sea Salt (optional)
  • scallions for garnish, or any other herb

Directions:

Warm the oil in a pot over medium heat, add the onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the turnips and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until turnip is tender.

In the meantime, using a vegetable peeler slice the carrots. Pat them off with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Heat the canola oil (350F) and fry the carrot strips until they crisp up. Drain them on paper towels and season with salt.

When the turnips are tender, puree the soup in a food processor. Return to low heat, add milk or cream, butter, and then season with salt and white pepper.

Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish each serving with scallions and the crispy carrot strips. Sprinkle with Black Hawaiian Sea Salt. Serve immediately.


Turnip Soup 3

8 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
March 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM  

A wonderful soup! So pretty with that carrot topping.

Yay, spring has arrived in your corner of the woods. Here, it is still quite grey, cold and wintry.

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...
March 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM  

I believe the spring is on a way to your home land. Wishing you a very nice day, Rosa!

La Table De Nana said...
March 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM  

Yelena..your daughter is so cute:) I miss my girls! they are moms themselves..it flew by..
I didn't know you were taht close to Buck's County..we visited friends there ap 30 yrs ago.. Loved Peddlar's Village..and we ate snapper soup at a charming resto ..
My girls were 4 and 2 I think..

Charming place..
Love the idea of the carrot crisps..will they stay crisp for a few hrs?

Thinking make ahead for guests..

Great shots..sharp sharp sharp

Unknown said...
March 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM  

Monique, thank you for such a lovely comment. If you ever will plan to travel in my part of the world, please visit me, I know many delicious places.

I can not tell you if the carrot crisps will stay crisp for hours, we ate it all with the soup in 10 minutes. They were very crispy, so I think they be OK.

Purabi Naha said...
March 14, 2013 at 5:22 AM  

Your daughter is a darling! This soup is so full of flavours!! I am sure my family would love this hearty soup!
http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.in/

Anonymous said...
March 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM  

The bowl of soup looks really inviting...YUM!!
Your pictures definitely makes me want to go for a walk in the state park close to my house...lovely!!
Shema

La Table De Nana said...
March 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM  

Thank you ..I will try them Yelena:-)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
March 16, 2013 at 2:38 AM  

Awww your daughter is in the photo today! That's so sweet and very personal. I also got to see your beautiful landscape pictures too! Love the orange carrot popping out of the soup. Such a beautiful contrast from carrot to the soup bowl. Love it!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...