Wheat Bran Morning Cakes with Pears



Quick breakfast cakes are made from the same type of batter as muffins. They share the same uneven, sometimes cake-like crumb. They are breads we fill with nuts and cranberries at Christmas, pumpkin puree near Thanksgiving, and zucchini at summer's end when garden is overrun with the squash.

Full of the goodness of wheat, these wholesome, hearty morning cakes taste wonderful on their own, yet are made even better by stirring a handful of pumpkin seeds and the poached pears into the batter.



Serves: 3 small cakes or 6 jumbo muffins

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup wheat bran
  • 2 Tbsp. wheat germ
  • 2 Tbsp. amaranth flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk 
  • 3 Tbsp. half-and-half
  • 2 Tbsp. water (I used syrup from canned pears)
  • 1/2 cup walnut oil
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses
  • 1 cup high-quality canned pears or poached pears
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 3 Tbsp. granola for for sprinkling
  • 2 tsp. ground flax seeds for sprinkling

Directions:

In the large bowl combine the flour, bran, and wheat germ in a medium bowl. Sift the baking soda and baking powder and whisk together.

In the medium bowl combine all wet ingredients and sugar. Whisk well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until all come together. Fold in the pears, and pumpkin seeds. Transfer the batter to a covered container and refrigerate overnight, or up to 36 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425 F. Prepare the cake molds or line the muffin pan with the muffin papers and spray the papers with nonstick spray.

Spoon the batter evenly into the cake molds or muffin papers, stopping 3/8 inch from the top. Sprinkle the flaxseeds and granola on top of them. Place the pan in the oven, lower the oven temperature to 325 F, and bake for 30 to 33 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Set pan on a cooling rack and completely cool.


Inspired by Tomas Keller "Bouchon Bakery" recipe.

12 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
January 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM  

Very healthy, so smooth and really tempting!

Cheers,

Rosa

chow and chatter said...
January 15, 2014 at 2:02 PM  

oh wow nice cake lovely crumb

Dominique Teng said...
January 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM  

What a nice breakfast idea, Yelena. Thank you for inspiring me this morning!

La Table De Nana said...
January 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM  


Gosh..I love the utensils too..
and that board w/ the pattern..Can you tell us more about it?♥
As you may know I like imprints..:)
It looks fabulous.. saw pumpkin seeds and did not buy any..but...
we are going back tomorrow:)

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
January 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM  

Freshly baked bread for breakfast.. I can imagine the smell at home. Usually don't eat breakfast, but I wouldn't be able to resist this :)

Unknown said...
January 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM  

Thank you dear Monique! I got my utensils in TJX store, they had a diff colors, also in red. My board I got from my favorite thrift shop I believe for $1, where I got all my props, near my house. I go there from time to time and always find something-))

Anonymous said...
January 15, 2014 at 10:33 PM  

Very nice! It is interesting that I don't eat breakfast but get tempted to make muffins and breakfast cakes... I guess I don't mind baking and then taking to work to make lots of people happy ;-)

Anonymous said...
January 16, 2014 at 9:54 AM  

Looks delicious, where do you buy your pumpkin seeds? I printed your recipe, thank you.

if you like cheesecake, you might like my recipe; https://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/chocolate-cheesecake/

Unknown said...
January 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM  

Hello Michael, thank you for stoping by, nice to meet you! I buy pumping seed at http://www.bobsredmill.com/raw_pumpkin-seeds.html?&cat=6
Wish you the best! And i do like your chocolate cheesecake-)

Angie's Recipes said...
January 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM  

A wholesome breakfast loaf, Yelena. I love that serving wood board with gorgeous imprints.
Happy Friday!
Angie

Anonymous said...
January 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM  

These look amazing. It has been so hot here lately that even thinking about turning on the oven makes me break out in a sweat but I reckon these scrumptious little breakfast breads might make me rethink my aversion to my oven and I might even get creative with the covered bbq and see if I can't recreate them outside. Cheers for luring me back to cook. Can't WAIT for autumn to be here and some cooler weather!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...