Winter Salad with Beans, Potato & Roasted Beets



The beets color this warm winter salad a delightful purple, but if you like to keep colors separate, add the beets last. This salads good on its own as a side dish, or as a base for pan-fried fish or chicken.



Note: Dried beans benefit from overnight (6-8 hours) soaking in water to cut down on cooking time. The value of beans will increase about 2-3 times, so make sure you cover them with plenty of water, at least 3 cups of water for every cup of beans.

I don't use canned beans, but if you must, make sure to rinse them several times to avoid the unpleasant metallic "canned" flavor.



Serves: 4-5

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup dried cannelloni, great northern, or kidney beans beans, soaked overnight (I used the mix of beans)
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/3 cup extra olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 4-5 medium red beets, roasted, peeled and sliced (or boiled)
  • 5-6 small potatoes, boiled in their skin and cut into bite-sized pieces (I used purple potatoes, but new potatoes would be very good for this salad)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3-4 Tbsp. fresh herbs, finely chopped (cilantro, parsley)
  • salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Drain the soaked beans and place in a clean pot with fresh water to cover. Bring slowly to a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, about 20 - 25 minutes, depending on age of beans. Drain and while still warm, combine in a large bowl with the onion, oil, vinegar, beets, garlic, fresh herbs and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and serve at room temperature.


7 comments:

La Table De Nana said...
February 18, 2015 at 7:30 PM  

The colors are gorgeous,as your props are.
You have great taste Yelena..and I love your new profile pic..we have both let our hair grow even longer:)

Unknown said...
February 18, 2015 at 8:55 PM  

Monique, I never had my hair that long, but my husband love long hair, so will see how far I can grow-))

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
February 19, 2015 at 2:15 AM  

A flavourful and scrumptious salad.

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...
February 19, 2015 at 5:48 AM  

It looks hearty and delicious. Gorgeous clicks, as always!

Anonymous said...
February 19, 2015 at 1:08 PM  

This is my idea of heaven Yelena. Pairing potatoes and beets and beans gives you something both scrumptious and hearty to keep you going all day. I might have to make this for my lunch at school one day soon. I reckon it would keep me firing on all mental cylinders. Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe with us all :)

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
February 20, 2015 at 1:33 AM  

Salad with beetroot! I like beetroot, very delicious and healthy vegetable. Looks very yummy!

FLAVZCORNER said...
March 6, 2015 at 7:21 AM  

This salad looks so good. I loved roasted vegetables salad. Loved the first picture!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...