Russian Monday: "Sushki" - Sweet Tea Bread, Baked Crunchy Round Snacks



I use to love these little tea breads when I was a child and I still love them today. I buy them often in Russian grocery store near us, but always had a desire to bake them myself. Sushki are slightly sweet crunchy round pastries/cookies which are served with tea or eaten as a snack. They look like mini bagels but they are very dry and crispy. They are fun to make, actually our whole family was making them - that is why our sushki look all different-)) It's ok, we had some good time. I like them with poppy seeds, but you can make them plain or top them with sesame seeds as well.
For more Russian recipes, visit the Russian Cuisine page.

Hope you had a very nice Easter weekend!


Illustration by Yelena Strokin



Makes: about 30 sushki

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (110g) water
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar for the dough
  • 1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar for water (to cook)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, egg, water and salt into a firm dough. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for about 25 minutes. Cut the dough into small pieces (about 15 grams each), and roll them out into 5-6 inch strings. Make rings by putting the ends together.

In a large, heavy pot, bring 5 cups of water and the sugar to a boil. In batches, add the rings to the water and boil, turning, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Place the boiled sushki rings on a baking sheet and sprinkle with poppy seeds or leave them plain. Bake sushki until they are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.


10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
April 6, 2015 at 5:14 AM  

Surely very delicious! A wonderful teatime treat.

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...
April 6, 2015 at 7:22 AM  

They remind me of bagels :-) I would love one with my afternoon tea.

La Table De Nana said...
April 6, 2015 at 8:37 AM  

I love this POST:)
Your artwork is totally charming Yelena.
The hedgehog..bunnies in their lair..happy little faces..and the toadstool reminded me immediately of your cookies..
Beautifully strung your delicacies.

Unknown said...
April 6, 2015 at 9:15 AM  

Monique, thank you! Every time I visit your blog and see your watercolors I have a desire to start draw and paint again. These little children illustrations were done by me a long time ago, and I love them dearly-))
Have a lovely week!

Anonymous said...
April 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM  

These look lovely Yelena. They look like something that you could eat simply with a bit of butter or slather with cream cheese and jam or other preserves. Thank you for sharing your Russian recipes with us all, Russian cuisine is very under-appreciated outside Russia.

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
April 7, 2015 at 3:46 AM  

Oh yes! I still love them. Don't know how to make them, but I always get them when I go home. Very addictive :D

Dominique Teng said...
April 7, 2015 at 10:17 AM  

A really lovely post, Yelena. Another recipe absolutely worth trying! Great pictures as always. I really admire your talent.

Warm greetings! - Dominique

handmade by amalia said...
April 7, 2015 at 11:35 AM  

I could go for a sushki right now! But, Yelena, cooking is only part of your talent, these illustrations are adorable!
Amalia
xo

Nippon Nin said...
April 7, 2015 at 7:48 PM  

Nice illustration! You're blessed with many talents!

It really looks like mini bagel! Cute and fun!

Lublyou said...
April 8, 2015 at 4:01 PM  

I love how they look and I always loved dipping them in tea... like my grandma hahah because I'm always afraid of cracking teeth with them))
Katie // Lublyou

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...