Avocado Appetizer with Yogurt, Garlic, Micro Greens and Chive Flower



Chive flower is a the first flower I ate this summer from our garden. I was standing by the chives picking off the flowers to promote more leaf growth, and I thought they might taste good. They certainly do - a crunchy, mild onion flavor. I have since added them to few dishes, from baked potatoes to salads of every description. My favorite and most attractive is avocado appetizer with yogurt, garlic, and micro greens.

Tip: Cut the flowers right off the plants (including the stem) when they are fully opened but before the color fades. Chives start flowering in spring. The young plants can keep flowering well into summer if the weather is not too arid.

Note: Unfortunately chive flowers do not freeze very well, so use them as much as possible all summer long.



Serves: one

Ingredients:

  • 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced into quarters
  • 4 tsp plain yogurt
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • micro greens
  • lemon juice
  • 1-2 tsp chive flowers
  • pinch of chili powder
  • Kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper

Direction:

Place the avocado slices on a plate. Top each slice with a little garlic, then add the lemon juice, yogurt, greens, spices and chive flowers. Sometimes I like to add chopped pecan nuts for texture. Serve as an appetizer or as a side dish with a roasted fish or chicken.


7 comments:

handmade by amalia said...
June 10, 2015 at 10:57 PM  

This dish just elegantly whispers summer to me.
I adore your photos!
Amalia
xo

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
June 11, 2015 at 4:58 AM  

Fresh, summery, herbilicious and tasty! A lovely appetizer.

Cheers,

Rosa

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
June 11, 2015 at 5:13 AM  

Looks healthy and so beautiful!

La Table De Nana said...
June 11, 2015 at 6:52 PM  

So beautifull as always;)

FLAVZCORNER said...
June 12, 2015 at 9:43 AM  

I am always a big fan of simple salad. Avocados are my favorite in salads. The richness it gives in each bite is simply amazing. Beautiful snaps!!

Angie's Recipes said...
June 13, 2015 at 10:58 AM  

I just used some chive flowers to make a salad dressing too. This looks so pretty and delicious!

Chahaya @ Sweet Si Bon said...
July 17, 2015 at 8:49 PM  

Each year I make several bottles of chive blossom rice vinegar with most of the chive blossoms from our garden, but also add some of them to cooked dishes. I really like their subtle flavor. I love both the simplicity and visual beauty of your recipe and look forward to trying it. Exceptional pictures!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...