Garlic Bread with Fresh Herbs Baked in Flower Pots



There are few things more pleasurable than the aroma and taste of freshly cooked home-made bread. These flower pot loaves are flavored with fresh chives, sage, parsley and garlic. You can use any selection of your favorite herbs. These are the most visually stunning breads and the are perfect for entertaining.



Dear Readers,

After a long break I am opening a new page on my blog and I am happy to announce my return from summer vacations, from trips around the world and kids activities and I am ready to cook and style more beautiful dishes and inspire you to do the same. Many things have changed in my life since the last post and I have deliberated if I should continue blogging at all, but I have decided in favor of my blog. I don't know where life journey will take me, but I know for sure I would never stop cooking for people I love and stop being an artist in every little thing I do!

Please enjoy few photo highlights from my last trip to Nova Scotia and unique recipe for a herbal bread.



Garlic Bread with Fresh Herbs Baked in Flower Pots

Makes: 3 loaves

Note: To prepare and seal new clay flower pots, clean them thoroughly, oil them inside and outside and bake them three or four times. Preheat the oven to about 400F/200C and bake for 30-40 minutes. Try to do this while you are baking other foods. You need three flower pots 4 1/2 inch in diameter and 5 1/2 inch in high.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (115g) wholemeal (whole-wheat) bread flour
  • 3 cups (350g) unbleached white bread flour
  • 1 ½ tsp (7.5ml) salt
  • ½ oz (15g) fresh yeast (or 1 Tbsp. dry yeast)
  • ⅔ cup (150ml) lukewarm milk
  • ½ cup (120ml) lukewarm water
  • 4 Tbsp. (50g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tsp chopped fresh sage
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • Beaten egg, for glazing
  • Fennel seeds, for sprinkling (optional)



Directions:

1. Lightly grease three clay flower pots. Sift the flowers and salt together into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Blend the yeast with a little of the milk until smooth, then stir in the remaining milk. Pour the yeast liquid into the centre of the flower and sprinkle over a little of the flour from around the edge. Cover the bowl and leave in a warm place for 15 minutes.

2. Add the water, melted butter, herbs and garlic to the flour mixture and blend together to form a dough. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. (I used electric mixer with a dough hook.)

3. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with lightly oiled clear film (plastic wrap) and leave in a warm place, for 1¼-1½ hours, or until doubled in bulk.

4. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knock back (punch down). Divide in three. Shape and fit into the prepared flower pots. They should about half fill the pots. Cover with oiled clear film and leave to rise for 30-45 minutes, in a warm place, or until the dough is 
1in (2.5cm) from the top of the pots.

5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F/200C. Brush the tops with beaten egg and sprinkle with fennel seeds, if using. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.


10 comments:

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...
September 14, 2015 at 11:16 PM  

what an innovative way of baking the bread. lovely clicks as always.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
September 15, 2015 at 3:42 AM  

Welcome back! I hope you had an enjoyable summer break.

Those breads look and sound delicious.

Cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...
September 15, 2015 at 8:30 AM  

So pretty!
Welcome home Yelena..hope al the changes are good:)

Unknown said...
September 15, 2015 at 8:03 PM  

Thank you all! I am happy to be back!

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
September 16, 2015 at 2:49 AM  

Fresh home made bread.. that sounds, looks and smells so nice.. :)

handmade by amalia said...
September 17, 2015 at 12:24 AM  

I'm glad you're back. The vacation photos are beautiful and the bread... well, there really is nothing better than freshly baked bread.
Amalia
xo

Angie's Recipes said...
September 18, 2015 at 8:13 AM  

Those buns in pots look so very pretty! Welcome back, Yelena.

Mumin said...
October 19, 2015 at 11:25 PM  

This is my first time commenting, but I've been following this blog off and on for years-- I didn't know you were considering not continuing, but I'm very glad you are keeping on blogging!

Я так рада! Я начала изучать русский язык год назад и мне нравиться готовить. Я всегда наиду Ваш веб-сайт когда Я хочу готовить русскую еду! У Вас очень вкусные рецепты. Спасибо большое! :)

Unknown said...
October 20, 2015 at 3:56 PM  

Thank you so much dear Mumin for your sweet comment! It really mean a lot to me. I am going to continue cook and style Russian recipes and I am glad you enjoy them-)
Hugs!!

Mumin said...
October 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM  

As long as you keep posting them, I'll keep cooking your Russian recipes! Thanks so much for your blog. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...