Preserved Lemons with Rosemary

Salty_Lemons_3

Preserved lemons are a classic Moroccan condiment often used to flavor stews and sauces. Boiling the lemons softens them more quickly than soaking them in a salty solution alone, cutting your soaking time to around three days. Keep in mind that lemons with thinner skins will take less time to soften. Thinly slice or chop preserved lemons (both rind and flesh), and add to fish, lamb, or chicken recipes. They also give a big flavor boost to tuna, lobster, and pasta salads. Remember to taste before seasoning the dish with any additional salt.

Salty_Lemons_1

Adapted from Coastal Living

Preparation time:
Cook time:
Total:
Chill: 3 days
Yield: Makes 1 quart

Ingredients:

  • 4 lemons
  • 1/2 cup Himalayan Pink salt
  • 1 tsp dried crushed red pepper
  • 4 springs fresh rosemary
  • 1 cup fresh lemon juice
Salty_Lemons_2

Directions:

Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil; add lemons. Boil 5 minutes; drain. Run lemons under cold water until cool enough to handle.
Cut lemons into wedges with pink salt, red pepper, and rosemary in a medium bowl. Pack into a jar. Pour lemon juice over lemon wedges to cover. Seal jar, and chill at least 3 days or until rinds are soft and pliable. Shake container daily. Store lemons in refrigerator up to 1 year.

Tip: Stir finely chopped pieces into hot or cold dishes for a burst salty, lemony flavor.

7 comments:

Eliotseats said...
January 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM  

Love your photos. I have saved this and would love to run to the store now to get a bag of lemons. I bet this is tasty with pasta.

Anonymous said...
January 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM  

This is a fantastic recipe! I had no idea that they were that easy to make and the idea of adding rosemary is brilliant!

Marillyn Beard said...
January 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM  

lovely pictures! I love preserving and lacto-ferments... I will have to try this out. What about oranges?? Hmmm... sounds like a possible project for me ;o)

Marina said...
January 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM  

Those red peppers looks fantastic, I can feel spiciness from it. I remember a sweet version of preserved lemons, this is something that would fit my kitchen better (we are trying to limit sugar use in recipes to a possible minimum). Thank you, Yelena!

Unknown said...
January 23, 2012 at 1:35 AM  

Awesome mix! I seriously just preserved lemons on Saturday. If I have some more left over between my curd, juice, and other projects, I'm totally trying it out. Thanks!! ♥

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...
October 29, 2012 at 1:39 AM  

Hello! New fan here. I just found you on Pinterest. :)
I’d like to invite you to join us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week! http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/clever-chicks-blog-hop-6.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

Unknown said...
November 1, 2013 at 1:54 AM  

Preserved lemons are so wonderful and so handy!

We've got loads of rosemary in the garden and I love the idea of making these for Christmas presents.

I have included this idea in my new post on wonderful ways to cook with rosemary - thanks so much for sharing, Alice @ Mums Make Lists

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...