Maine, Acadia Park, Part One and Perfect Boiled Lobsters


We took a week off and ventured in the Acadia Park, Maine, wandered in the rocky forest, as well enjoyed some ocean breeze and lakeside sunset.

IMG_2823 IMG_2830 IMG_2856 IMG_2934 IMG_2834 IMG_2848 IMG_2837 IMG_2905 IMG_3032 IMG_3035 IMG_3043
Small lobsters under 2 pounds are the most delicate and desirable. Larger ones tend to be tough. The tail carries the great part of the good meat. The white flesh of the claws and the body, the roe, and the liver of the lobster are all edible. The shell of a live lobster is a mottled green and red, which turns to a bright red when cooked.

There is a great difference between the North Atlantic Coast lobster and the so-called lobster or Langouste of the Gulf and the Pacific Coasts, the most obvious deference being in the claws. An Eastern lobster has large, meaty claws, while the Langouste's are small.

Boiled Lobster
Bring a large pot of sea or salted water to a rolling boil. Add two tablespoons of salt for each quart of water. If sea water is available, even better, skip the salt.  Grasp the life lobster by the middle of the back and push it into the boiling water headfirst. Cover the pot and simmer 15-20 minutes. The lobsters will be a clear, bright red when done.

To serve boiled lobster, which may be eaten hot or cold, arrange lobster halves on serving plates or a platter, removing the claws and cracking them lightly with a nutcracker. Discard the dark vein, spongy tissue, and the sac near the head, but save the green liver and coral, if any. They are considered a delicacy. Hot boiled lobster may be served with melted butter, parsley butter, Hollandaise sauce, or a Sauce Mousseline.


IMG_3041

6 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...
June 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM  

I am drooling at those fresh lobster! Thank you for sharing those beautiful summery photos too. Love it.

Nancy said...
June 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM  

Great photos and what a beautiful place. But those lobster, oh those lobster!! My mouth is watering now.

Peggy G. said...
June 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM  

I love lobster! It's definitely one of my favorite treats of summer =)

Marina said...
June 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM  

What a beautiful post! lovely photos and the view is just breathtaking! My favorite photo is with two chairs. Sending you an e-mail tonight about it. :)

Gwen said...
June 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM  

Such beautiful photos. They transport me to Maine, a place on my top 10 'Must Go To" list. As much as I love lobster I just don't know if I can get past putting a live one in a pot. :( I'll just have to wait until I visit Maine for the freshest one.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
June 27, 2012 at 3:59 AM  

GOOOOOOOOOOOORGEOUS photography of everything! I love lobsters but have never seen that many lobsters on a table. I MUST GO TO MAINE!!! I hope you had a wonderful time there. :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...