Pumpkin & Flax Seeds, Sun-dried Tomato Crackers with Roasted Beets Hummus



I have been very busy over the last few weeks, doing a lot of creative things/jobs and also watching my latest favorite cooking show - The Great British Baking Show. You probably can tell, since I bake quite a lot lately, just cannot help myself, the show is so good. I just want to bake together with the bakers and I do.



Also, I am taking classes of floral design and enjoying that tremendously. Work with flowers is so relaxing and comes to me very naturally, I feel like I found my new creative side. This is the reason why you have neither seen me lately on my blog nor I have visited yours, and I miss you all my dearest friends. As you can see from my photography, the fall is so beautiful here and I just can't get enough of it. Soon the colors will fade, but for now every day is a holiday for me. Please enjoy the recipe and few clicks from my everyday life.



Pumpkin & Flax Seed, Sun-dried Tomato Crackers/Biscuits with Roasted Beets Hummus

Ingredients: 

For the crackers:

  • 5 oz (140g) rye flour
  • 2½ oz (70g) wholemeal flour
  • 2½ oz (70g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 oz (55g) pumpkin seeds
  • 2 oz (55g) sunflower seeds
  • 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. mustard 
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 180ml water

For the hummus:

  • 2-3 beets, peeled, sliced, roasted (wrap in aluminum foil, and roast at 400°F for about 40 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork)
  • 2 cups dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
  • 5-6 garlic cloves
  • 2 tsp pink himalayan salt
  • 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
  • freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
  • 1/2- 1 cup liquid from cooked chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 
  • 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika



Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400F/200C.

To make the hummus: follow this recipe. Add the roasted beets together with other ingredients to the food processor and process until the hummus is coarsely pureed.

To make the crackers: Mix the rye, wholemeal and all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Add the seeds, salt and baking powder. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, mustard and olive oil until combined. Add the water and bring the mixture together to form a dough. Lightly flour a work surface and knead the dough for few minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Lightly grease a large clean bowl, add the dough and cover with kitchen towel. Set aside for 15-20 minutes to rest.

Meanwhile, cut out a piece of baking parchment for the baking sheet. Roll out the dough using a rolling pin until it is as thin as possible.  Cut out as many circles/leaves as you can get from the dough. Place the crackers carefully on the baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes. Serve the cooled crackers/biscuits with roasted beets hummus.


Inspired by recipe from The Great British Baking Show.

8 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
November 10, 2015 at 4:03 AM  

Lovely fall pictures! My favorite season...

Those crackers look very tempting and must taste wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...
November 10, 2015 at 8:27 AM  

Gorgeous autumn flavour and photos!

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
November 11, 2015 at 5:32 AM  

They look like such a yummy, flavorful snack..

handmade by amalia said...
November 15, 2015 at 1:59 AM  

I love the autumn look and feel of this post so much, Yelena. It is funny how every season has its own color palette and you do absolute justice to autumn's warm, rich colors. Lovely.
Amalia
xo

Unknown said...
November 15, 2015 at 6:47 PM  

I love all your clicks and the snacks

Sue/the view from great island said...
November 22, 2015 at 4:02 PM  

These are gorgeous, I love anything shaped in leaf form, especially this time of year, where do you get your wonderful cutters?

Unknown said...
November 22, 2015 at 5:19 PM  

Hello Sue, I got the cutters a couple of years ego at Michaels store. But I did not see them this year-(( I used them few times all ready for a different recipes, they always look so beautiful! If I see them somewhere I will let you know! Thank you one more time for your wonderful gift!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...