Baked Goldfish Pumpkin Chips - for my Sweet Children!



What a genius idea for healthy snack - baked goldfish pumpkin chips! We are roasting vegetables every other day and roasted pumpkin is our favorite. Today I have created this amazing and fun recipe for my children's lunch boxes. After a long search for suitable cookie cutter my husband has finally made one from 2 1/2-inch oval cookie cutter, rather than buying it online or at the store. To make your own cookie cutters is simple and leaves space for your imagination and creativity.

Pumpkin Gold Fish 1

After school I have asked my children how they liked my creation and guess what I have heard back? "Mom, next time please put more!"

Pumpkin Gold Fish 2

Note: You may use any spices you like; plus orange zest, lemon zest, maple syrup, dried rosemary and more.

Ingredients:

  • 1 butternut squash, I use top, the part without seeds
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 nutmeg, freshly grated
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch of salt and smoked paprika

Directions:

Preheat an oven to 375°F.

Peel the pumpkin and cut into slices little less then 1/2 inch thin.

Using a 2-inch fish-shaped (or other) cookie cutter, cut out chips. (Left over squash I used for butternut puree.)

Spread the pumpkin fish chips out in a lightly greased large roasting pan or on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with herbs, spices and orange juice.

Roast until cooked through and golden brown, about 30-35 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the pan with chips inside, until the oven cools down. That way the chips will be crispy.


Pumpkin Gold Fish 4

9 comments:

Unknown said...
September 26, 2013 at 1:28 AM  

Bellissimi questi pesci! perfetti per una cena per bambini!
grazie

Laura
www.pentoledicristallo.com

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
September 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM  

A good idea! They look so cute. I just made some pumpkin chips the other day...

Cheers,

Rosa

Unknown said...
September 26, 2013 at 7:13 AM  

Adorable idea! How creative :)

La Table De Nana said...
September 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM  

Very very very cute..those children are so lucky:)

Marina said...
September 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM  

Lovely fishes! I would eat it too, and ask for more! Your husband was so nice to make the cutter for you. And all those bits and pieces left after cutting would make a wonderful roasted butternut squash soup! :)

i.v.w. said...
September 27, 2013 at 1:52 AM  

Too adorable! This is such a great idea.

Nava K said...
September 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM  

Its simple and stunning, one I have never thought about before. Surely I am gonna try it out because really, its tempting.

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
October 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM  

Your husband is awesome! I love the homemade fish cutter, and I fell in love with pumpkin flavored gold fish!!!!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...