Dark Chocolate Brandy & Cherry Cake



The rich chocolate sponge, moistened with brandy and cherries, is still one of my favorite of all the chocolate cakes. Dark chocolate cherry cake is a perfect party dessert. The cake can be make in advance and it always looks impressive.


Serves: 6

Ingredients:
  • 1 oz. dried cherries
  • 1/3 cup brandy
  • 7oz. dark chocolate 
  • 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter 
  • 3/4 cup superfine sugar
  • 3 large free-range eggs, separated
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup ground almonds
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 tsp salt
For the glaze:
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. whole milk
  • red food coloring (optional)

Directions:

Soak the dried cherries in the brandy overnight.

The following day, preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake pan (or other cake pan).

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water, stirring from time to time. When almost melted, remove from the heat and continue stirring to melt any remaining lumps. Set aside to cool.

Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and cream together until light and pale in color. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well each time to ensure the mixture is smooth and creamy.

Stir in the cooled melted chocolate, then fold in the flour and ground almonds, the milk, and brandy-soaked cherries. Add the salt.

Whisk the eggs whites in a bowl until stiff, and then gently fold into the chocolate mix.

Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan, level off the surface, and then place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes. Leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning the cake onto a wire rack.


Meanwhile, whisk confectioners' sugar and milk in a bowl until glaze is smooth. Brush the warm cake with a glaze and allow to cool completely.

Cut the warm cake into the wedges and top with fresh berries and streaks of the crème fraîche.


18 comments:

La Table De Nana said...
December 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM  

It is gorgeous Yelena..fit for royalty..don't know if you ever go back to previous posts..but I left another comment on your Russian Mushroom cookies..
LOVE them.

Unknown said...
December 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM  

Thank you dear Monique! I am so happy that you like my mushroom cookies, they are very cute indeed-)

La Table De Nana said...
December 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM  

I know..I will always make them:-)
I may ask you for a wee tip on getting the stems to stand up..I am so grateful you recommended turning the pans half way:-)
My stems were starting to droop over:-)
I quickly set them straight again:-)
Happy Holidays..do you celebrate in Jan..the first Monday..or Wednesday the 25th?

Unknown said...
December 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM  

My stems were starting to droop over too, I did the same thing as you, I set them straight again in a oven, when they are warm but not cooked yet. I should've mentioned that in a post, thank you! We celebrate two times-)) In Russia christmas in January.
Monigue, I woud love to see your mushroom cookies, can you photograph them please?

La Table De Nana said...
December 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM  

I have taken photos to post next week..I will try and send to your email now:-)

La Table De Nana said...
December 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM  

Hello again:)
I just tried to send you an email through your contact me form..It says your mailbox is full and cannot receive more..
Feel free to email me..and I will reply with the post and photos..!

Unknown said...
December 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM  

OMG, Thank you so much for letting me know! Now I understand why I don't receive any mail through my blog-((

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
December 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM  

Beautiful!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, dear!

Cheers,

Rosa

Dominique Teng said...
December 23, 2013 at 3:17 AM  

Cherry on top! I knew that you will create something amazing to top the already tempting Christmas menu. I am in owe!

Wishing you wonderful Merry Christmas and all the very best for the New Year! - Dominique

Te de Ternura said...
December 23, 2013 at 4:23 AM  

SU SABOR DEBE SER DELICIOSO!!!
Y es tan BONITO!!!
A disfrutarlo YELENA :)))

sky_dream said...
December 23, 2013 at 4:26 AM  

Выглядит потрясающе!

FLAVZCORNER said...
December 23, 2013 at 8:49 AM  

The cake looks rich and spongy Yelena!!

grubarazzi said...
December 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM  

This cake looks like a piece of art! So gorgeous. Also, Happy Holidays and I wish you and absolutely wonderful New Years!

Anonymous said...
December 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM  

We don't even need dried cherries as it is cherry season here in Tasmania. This cake looks magnificent! I would be proud to serve this cake to anyone. Cheers for another gorgeous share. You are truly an amazing cook :)

Unknown said...
December 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM  

That is absolutely stunning and sounds ridiculously delicious. Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Zara H. said...
December 24, 2013 at 5:06 AM  

Yelena, it looks, and, no doubt, tastes, just fabulous! Loving your mushroom cookies too! Thanks for stopping by, and I'm wishing you a very happy & delightful holidays!
xox,-Zara

Audrey said...
January 30, 2015 at 12:13 PM  

Love this recipe! I translated it into my italian blog.. hope you'll like it!

http://www.nonsolopizzaecinema.com/2015/01/mortdecai-in-anteprima-e-un-dolce.html

Unknown said...
January 30, 2015 at 4:48 PM  

Audrey, thank you for visiting and great to see my recipe in Italian-))

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...