Mussels in White Wine Sauce with Onions and Tomatoes - The appetizer that should be in every cook’s repertoire!



I of the things I admire about French cooking is the fact that inexpensive foods are given the same loving treatment as the luxury items, and frequently turn out to taste even better. Take mussels. Probably the most popular mussel dish is "moules marinieres", a classic French recipe using wine, garlic, shallots, parsley and butter. This dish is easy to make, and tastes divine. The only different thing with my variation is that I added fresh tomatoes to the sauce. I love it this way. See for yourself when you try this recipe.

Tomatoes_1

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 1/2 lb. mussels, well scrubbed and debearded
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 3-5 small tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2-3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

Boston_Letuce
(On the photo: Boston lettuce for my salad that I had with mussels)

Tip: To clean mussels, scrub the shells well under running water. The beard, a fibrous tuft near the hinge, should not be removed until just before cooking. Grasp it close to the shell and pull on it with a firm tug. Today, with so many farm-raised mussels in the market, beards are less fully formed and are easier to remove. Once the mussels have been thoroughly cleaned, remove and discard any shells that are open or broken and that do not close when tapped.

Mussels_2

Directions:

In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Then add the onion, garlic and cook until the onions are soft, about 3-4 minutes. Turn up the flame to high and add the mussels. Pour in the white wine, bay leaf, fresh parsley, salt, ground pepper and stir for about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 minutes until all the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that did not open.
Serve the mussels in large bowl with the broth and baguette slices for dipping.


Mussels_3

15 comments:

Unknown said...
February 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM  

These look amazing! I especially love the little bowl that is holding your tomatoes :)

Marina said...
February 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM  

you pictures are so realistic that I wanted to grab couple of those yummy mussels...

beti said...
February 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM  

what a perfect way to eat mussels! delicious looking

Anonymous said...
February 17, 2012 at 12:47 AM  

These look terrific! What you said about the french treating inexpensive and costly foods with the same care was poetic! I just returned from London and Paris and you pinpointed it perfectly!

Tiffany said...
February 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM  

We had a fabulous dinner the other night at a French restaurant which included the best mussels I have ever had.... now I have to try your recipe to see if I can get close!

Pinch of thoughts said...
February 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM  

I'm gonna try this on friday for our dinner with friends, i'm excited to pair it with baguette instead of rice heheh..will let you know the outcome, thanks for the recipe!

Peggy said...
February 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM  

Oh my goodness! These mussels look amazing =)

Unknown said...
December 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM  

Hi. I made your recipe last night and it was amazing! I am a novice cook and am working on getting better, and I was really pleased with how this turned out. Thanks

Unknown said...
December 2, 2012 at 2:50 PM  

Ryan, thank you so much for visiting my blog. I am so glad that your dish was success! I will try to post more simple recipes in a future. Stop by again!

Unknown said...
February 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM  

Great recipe! Not too complicated and great instructions. Will be making these for dinner tonight!

Anonymous said...
March 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM  

I used this recipe last night. It was phenomenal. Thank you for sharing :)

Unknown said...
July 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM  

Can I eat this with rice too?

Mumra said...
July 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM  

These will be cooked too long and the mussels will be tough. No more than two minutes. From someone who lives by the sea.

Unknown said...
October 31, 2015 at 10:08 AM  

with what can i substitute the wine ?

Unknown said...
October 31, 2015 at 4:45 PM  

Hello ouafaa, just don't use the wine. Add little extra more lemon juice.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...