Vanilla Button Cookies - Just for Fun!




These are little vanilla cream cheese button cookies. They're adorable and I had too much fun with these button cookies! My favorite thing was when my children asked if they could help me to make another "button"-) These cookies are perfect for baby shower or birthday party, holiday gifts and just for fun.

Button Cookies 7

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 ounces cream cheese
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • assorted colors of paste food coloring

Button Cookies 8

Directions:

In a bowl cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth.


In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms. Divide dough into two parts. Tint each with a different food color. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Button Cookies 9

Remove from refrigerator, one color at a time and on a lightly floured surface, roll dough until just over 1/8" thick.

Cut 2-inch rounds with round cutter. Next on each round, just in from the edge, mark with a smaller round cutter, approximately 1.5 inches diameter, pressing slightly,  but not pushing through. Run a metal spatula underneath the dough, to make sure it is not sticking to the table, sprinkle with flour underneath as necessary.

With top of a small #3 piping tip (or with straw) cut 2 or 4 holes in the centre of each cookie so it resembles a button, make sure to push down to the counter so the small pieces fall out.

Button Cookies 5

Lift dough with metal spatula onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a sil-pat, collect scraps and repeat.

Follow the same method with another color, being sure to clean your work surface between each.
Refrigerate buttons for 15 minutes before baking.

Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes.

Transfer to a cooling rack and eat with a perfect cup of tea.

Button Cookies 4

21 comments:

Kim Bee said...
February 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM  

These are wicked cute. I don't know if I want to wear them or eat them. Or both. Great cookies.

Anonymous said...
February 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM  

Absolutely adorable...but no surprise there!

TinaRBK said...
February 28, 2012 at 7:29 AM  

I really love the appearance of these, especially that they are pastel colored. These would make great gifts and I am sure they taste as wonderful as they look.

Sandra Lee said...
February 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM  

These are so cute and perfect for so many occasions. Thanks for the idea.

Emily said...
February 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM  

These are adorable. I am thinking they would be perfect for an upcoming baby shower.

Marina said...
February 28, 2012 at 3:13 PM  

Perfect for a gift to myself! Great idea, Yelena! And as always, presentation is fantastic!

Anita at Hungry Couple said...
February 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM  

OMG! These are so realistic looking I would have sworn they were real buttons :)

lacyd said...
February 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM  

These are adorable! Love this idea!! And I love the little mary engelbreit box. So cute, such a great idea!
- Lacy @ NYCityEats.com

Eliotseats said...
February 28, 2012 at 9:39 PM  

I love cream cheese cookies! These look sooo cute---perfect for a shower. I love your presentation. Great post.

Nava K said...
February 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM  

Simple gorgeous and I can't get enough of admiring all the pics.

Baker Street said...
February 29, 2012 at 5:26 AM  

Aww... these are gorgeous!

Unknown said...
February 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM  

So cute! I wish I had an occasion for which to make them...

Curious Country Cook said...
February 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM  

These are adorable!And I love Buttons! I might try these for my cousin's baby shower.

Hezzi-D said...
March 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM  

These are so cute, you did a wonderful job!

Unknown said...
March 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM  

OMG those look so cute!

Milena Andrade said...
March 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM  

Hello Yelena, I loved your site and found this recipe incredible, super fun! I could not stand and was soon preparing these delicious cookies ... and already posted! It was not as gorgeous as their most assure you it was delicious!
Thanks for sharing!(Brazil)

Anonymous said...
December 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM  

I love buttons and these cookies look delicious!

mollymell said...
April 12, 2014 at 6:22 AM  

Good morning Yelena!

I've seen one of these pictures before but I could not find the name of the person who made it (I do hate when people do not give the copyright information), but now I've found it here, and I'm glad.
The recipe is easy (I like it easy) and the cookies are just adorable!!!
Love it!

Vicky said...
March 31, 2017 at 10:02 AM  

I'm making these adorable cookies for my daughter's baby shower (all in Pink, It's A Girl!). Can someone tell me approximately how many cookies you get from this? Thanks so much!

Unknown said...
March 31, 2017 at 12:19 PM  

Vicky, it depends on the size, but I remember it was around few dozens of cookies.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...