Salmon Tartare with Sesame Crackers in Blue Ice



Salmon is such a versatile fish and makes an expensive but impressive dish to prepare for family and friends. You can, of course, buy ready-made sashimi from local Japanese restaurant, but I think making salmon tartare yourself is what makes this dish special. You can serve it on a plate using a pastry ring, or serve in glasses on ice for more sophisticated look. I colored regular ice with blue food coloring for "blue ocean" effect.

Salmon Tartare 3

Note: For this dish you must make sure that you use only fish that is extremely fresh, so find a good fish store or large market.

Ingredients:

For the salmon tartare:

  • 1 lb wild salmon, finely diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped chives
  • zest of 1/2 lemon, finely grated
  • salt, to taste
  • pinch of white pepper
  • pinch of dried dill
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce

For the sesame crackers:
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, very soft
  • 1 egg white
  • sesame seeds
  • dry seaweed (optional)

Directions:

To make the sesame crackers: mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Beat the egg white into the flour mixture using a spoon. Stir until smooth. Whisk in the soft butter until the mixture is smooth.

Preheat oven to 375F.  Spread about one teaspoon of batter over baking tray making a small round. Repeat to fill the space on tray. Sprinkle each rounds of batter with sesame seed and/or seaweed flakes and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.

To make a salmon tartare: Combine the diced salmon, chives, dill, lemon zest, soy sauce and olive oil in a medium bowl and stir gently with a spoon to combine. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.

Spoon the salmon in glass and place it on blue ice. Serve with the sesame crackers.


Salmon Tartare 4

9 comments:

Unknown said...
April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM  

Wow what a beautiful presentation! Love the sound of this tartar, sounds really refreshing :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
April 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM  

Prettily presented and ever so tasty sounding!

Cheers,

Rosa

La Table De Nana said...
April 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM  

I love this..and don't even like salmon tartare..but my girls and their husbands do..And wow.:)!
The crackers are so delicate and beautiful like stained glass..and that ice..!
I think I will have to knock their socks off with this one time:)

La Table De Nana said...
April 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM  

I can't even Pin it because my girls follow me..
I want it to be a surprise..Let's hope they don't Foodgawk or Tastespot this week:)

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
April 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM  

Salmon is my favorite fish, but I have never tried it this way. Looks wonderful! Ok..everything what you make looks wonderful :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
April 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM  

I love everything about this recipe (and food styling)!!! Sesame crackers may not make it for garnishing if you let me bake it... They will be all gone in a few minutes after it came out of the oven! So easy and so pretty. Pinning to several boards to keep this great dish! :D

Monica said...
April 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM  

That is a great restaurant-worthy looking dish! I love salmon tartare, and homemade sesame crackers are a huge bonus.

Peggy G. said...
April 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM  

This is gorgeous! And I'm sure it's absolutely tasty, as well!

Anonymous said...
May 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM  

I love salmon and tartare. Yours look incredible, especially with the blue ice. I have never thought of coloring the ice. That is very creative. I am trying your recipe next week.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...