Dragon Fruit - What is it and how to eat it



Dragon fruit (Pitaya) is part of the cactus family, and has sweet, kiwi-like flesh. Dragon fruit is quite exotic for our latitudes and if your grocery store does not carry it, usually you can find this bright red skinned fruit, very rich in vitamins B and C as well as fiber, at your nearest Asian market. You can easily check if fruit is ripe by pressing on it, just like you’d choose ripe avocado, kiwi or peach. If it’s too soft that means it is overripe and the texture will not be as good. If it is too hard, you can still buy your dragon fruit but let it stay in cool dry place for few days to fully ripen. Any dry brown spots or dry spines on dragon fruit leathery skin are a sign to avoid it.

There are more ideas what to do with dragon fruit:
Dragon Fruit Jelly Mooncake
Dragon Fruit Martini
Pomegranate-Dragon Fruit Sorbet
Dragon Fruit Jam

Dragon Fruit 1 Dragon Fruit 2 Dragon Fruit 3

Serves: 2 (perfect for romantic breakfast)

Ingredients:

  • 1 Dragon Fruit
  • 1 lime
  • fresh mint

Directions:

Cut the fruit in half to find soft white tasty flesh sprinkled with tiny black seeds.

Use spoon to scoop the flesh off the skin as you’d do with avocado. If dragon fruit is ripe, flesh would easily separate from the skin and it can be diced into small chunks before serving.

Best served chilled, in fancy glass with lime juice and fresh mint.


Dragon Fruit 4

6 comments:

Dominique Teng said...
November 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM  

This is a very nice post, Yelena. Your images are spectacular. As always!

Pitaya with lime and mint, nicely chilled, definitely is something to try.

Unfortunately not many people know pitayas. And it is such a pity that supermarkets seldom carry them.

I am probably one of the more fortunate people who travel to Asia very often and can enjoy this exotic fruit almost on regular bases.

La Table De Nana said...
November 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM  

You have portrayed her beautifully.
I love this fruit..inner beauty as well as out:)

Similar to a Kiwi taste to me.
I am happy I can find this most anywhere her now..
Not presented like yours of course!

Te de Ternura said...
November 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM  

Que fruta tan EXÓTICA YELENA!!!
Me ha gustado mucho conocerla, y tu puesta en escena es PRECIOSA como siempre.
UN ABRAZO AMIGA QUE TENGAS UN BUEN MIÉRCOLES!!! :)))
Conxita

FLAVZCORNER said...
November 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM  

Very helpful post Yelena!!! I found these fruits in the Indian store, it looked very appealing, but I didn't know how to use it, so didn't buy it. Will try it soon :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...
November 8, 2013 at 12:22 AM  

I enjoy dragon fruits when we go to Taiwan. This is such a unique and delicious fruit!

Shema George said...
November 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM  

I have never had a dragon fruit in my life. I dint even know how it looked inside. Great article...loved it..I see this fruit at my regular grocery store very often and I will pick them the next time I see it.. I am very inquisitive now !!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...