Russian Monday: Mushrooms with Sour Cream Sauce - "Gribi v Smetane"



Mushrooms are traditional ingredient of Russian cuisine. For centuries, our ancestors used bounty of forest to diversify their menu. And even today with enormous variety of options, ingredients, recipes from around the world available to us true gourmets love tasty and fragrant mushrooms in sour cream.

Boletus (“white mushroom”), chanterelle, armillaria and champignon are four mushroom species cooked the most often. Sour cream is added to the sauce served with mushrooms or directly applied during frying or cooking process. Mushrooms with sour cream are traditional dish occupying honorary place in all Russian cookbooks and it that can easily boast many centuries of history.

For more Russian recipes, visit Russian Cuisine page.

Sunday Morning 1

Forest berries and wild mushrooms are a wonderful gift of nature. They carry the fragrance of a pure forest and help maintain your good health and longevity.

Mushrooms Sour Cream 6 Mushrooms Sour Cream 5 Mushrooms Sour Cream 4

Note: If you are using frozen wild mushrooms, before begin to cook them, rinse them with water. Do not defrost. Cook as any fresh mushrooms.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb. fresh mushrooms, I suggest baby portabella mushrooms for this recipe (or wild frozen mushrooms, I found them in Russian supermarket)
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
  • 3 garlic gloves, finely chopped
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • shredded cheese
  • chopped fresh dill to serve

Directions:

Wash fresh mushrooms, dry them and break off stems. Slice in quarters.

In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add all the mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the onion and garlic. Low the heat and cover the pan, cook gently for about 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle the flour and stir gently. Season with salt and pepper. Then add sour cream, stir well and heat for a few minutes but do not let mixture boil.

Preheat an oven to 400ºF.

Divide the mushroom mixture between two baking dishes. Top with cheese and season lightly with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Bake until browned on top, about 15-20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Sprinkle with fresh dill and serve with you favorite bread and wine.


Mushrooms Sour Cream 3

23 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
November 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM  

Lovely pictures (I love the one of the fireplace) and mouthwatering dish!

Cheers,

Rosa

chow and chatter said...
November 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM  

looks great we love mushrooms and isnt fall the best

Julia said...
November 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM  

I love gribi v smetane! What a cozy meal for a cold Fall (or even Winter!) day! This whole post, including the photos of the fireplace makes me feel so warm and cozy, like I am visiting a good friend's cabin. :)

Te de Ternura said...
November 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM  

Una preparación RICA y CONSISTENTE para el frío que ya empieza a instalarse en Cataluña.
GRACIAS AMIGA QUE TENGAS UN BUEN DÍA
Conxita :)))

Finla said...
November 5, 2013 at 4:24 AM  

Love mushrooms too, and at the moment i have veriety of mushroom in my fridge maybe i will make it tommorow for dinner, you didn't write in the recipe how much cheese or what kind of cheese can i use any cheese.

Unknown said...
November 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM  

Finla, You may use any kind of cheese, what ever you have in you refrigerator. Sprinkle a little on a top. Or a lot, depends how you like it-)

Denise said...
November 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM  

I made this for breakfast this morning. Mine wasn't nearly as pretty as yours. ;) It was delicious, though, and will be on my menu often through the cooler months. Thank you!

Unknown said...
November 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM  

Denise, the important thing is it was delicious! I am glad you tried it-)

Finla said...
November 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM  

Thankyou for the info made a totally different dish with the mushroom which i had in the fridge. But soon i will do this as it is mushrooms seasone here :-)

Shema George said...
November 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM  

What a rustic looking dish. Loved it. What cheese did you use for this recipe?... The cheese crust is really drool worthy. Nice tip about frozen mushrooms. I have never frozen mushrooms

Unknown said...
November 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM  

I modified your recipe a little :) Didn't fund a sour cream in my fridge , i added a Philadelphia cheese and plane yogurt. Yammmmm

thank you for the recipe

Unknown said...
November 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM  

Excellent idea, Lyuda! I will try like that next time-)

rosasdolcevita said...
November 9, 2013 at 5:37 AM  

Hi Yelena!

I made this a few nights ago and it was a hit! My husband and I loved it!! Will definitely make this again. Thank you for sharing.

PS: I love your photography :-)

Rosa

Chenoa said...
November 15, 2013 at 2:30 PM  

I need an appetizer tonight, will this work as an appetizer? Also, all I have in my house are canned mushrooms, will that work? I'm sure it won't taste nearly as good as fresh, but I have two sleeping children right now! :)

Unknown said...
November 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM  

It would be a perfect appetizer, Chenoa, and yes you may use mushrooms from the can, only drain them well. Have a good evening-)

Unknown said...
December 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM  


Had a bad day today actually but I comforted myself with this good bowl.
Nothing beats a good old fashioned, simple recipe using few ingredients that taste fabulous!

Unfortunately I had no sour cream at hand,
so I used goats cream and topped it with hard goat cheese
Yummy!

Unknown said...
January 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM  

I added a bit of beef broth to stretch it out a bit, and it was delicious as a stew!!

Unknown said...
September 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM  

I'm going to try this recipe as soon as I get a kitchen :)

Unknown said...
October 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM  

this looks delicious, but one question: what kind of cheese did you use?

Unknown said...
October 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM  

Hello Yen, you may use any cheese you like: cheddar, Swiss cheese, provolone. I buy pre-shreded cheese from any supermarket. I hope you like the dish!

Unknown said...
October 2, 2014 at 11:02 PM  

thanks yelena. i had a lithuanian version long ago, so i'm sure i will!

Anonymous said...
August 3, 2015 at 6:24 PM  

Thank you for the recipe first time I had this was in Moscow and have been trying to do this for myself ever sincere

Unknown said...
August 9, 2016 at 9:48 PM  

Not too difficult , and it was delicious ! Thank you for this !

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...