Russian Monday: Carrot Salad with Walnuts & Garlic



I would like to present you a simple salad recipe from my own childhood times. There has not ever been a complete holiday table in our house without this salad. I recall myself a little girl helping my mom to peel garlic and chop walnuts, and later, it has become my own dish I cooked preparing for the arrival of guests.

Today, many years since, this salad is very popular with my family. It is quick to be cooked and it does not stay long. Another point of note – garlic is a valuable ingredient, which is especially important during winter months. Carrots and walnuts make this salad an excellent side for meat dishes adding special piquancy to the taste of meat. It is perfect for someone who does not like to spend much time in the kitchen and wants to make quick, tasty and simple vitamin rich carrot salad.

Try this recipe and I can assure you – you’ll love it!

For more Russian recipes, visit Russian Cuisine page.

Carrot Salad with Walnuts Garlic 3

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

  • 4-5 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
  • 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
  • 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise or yogurt
  • salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Gently toss until everything is evenly coated. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.


Carrot Salad with Walnuts Garlic 2

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
November 25, 2013 at 3:09 AM  

A delicious winter salad! Simply perfect.

Cheers,

Rosa

Dominique Allmon said...
November 25, 2013 at 6:51 AM  

This is an interesting combination! An absolute must try, Yelena. I "invented" for myself a healthier version of carrot salad with raisins, cilantro and curry spice, but I never tried to add nuts or garlic. I have a pound of organic carrots, parsley, garlic and walnuts. This is going to be my lunch. Instead of mayonnaise I will use yogurt and some olive oil.

La Table De Nana said...
November 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM  

Always a nice salad to have..the ones..I remember had raisins in them..but the rest very similar!

Unknown said...
November 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM  

What a beautiful salad, it sounds absolutely delicious!

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Anonymous said...
November 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM  

I just started following your amazing blog and this salad is full of possibilities. I would swap out the yoghurt for some non-dairy (homemade) sesame kefir and would let this culture. I reckon this would be a gorgeous ferment. Cheers for sharing this wonderful recipe :)

Unknown said...
November 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM  

Thank you so much for being my new follower, I am very happy to see you here! This is original salad, this this how we cooked it back home. I love your idea of homemade sesame kefir, I would love to have a recipe for it-)) Sounds just right!

Te de Ternura said...
November 26, 2013 at 1:10 AM  

YELENA... tengo una copita como la tuya; pero la tengo vacía, tendré que llenarla con tu deliciosa ENSALADA, ya lo creo que si!!! se ve estupenda!!!
Un buen martes amiga :)))
Conxita

Laura Wilce said...
January 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM  

I made this last night (with creme fraiche instead of yogurt) as part of a New Years Eve buffet. I thought I'd made too much but it went down so well, there were barely any leftovers for today!
It's definitely going to become a regular side dish now! Fab recipe, thanks for sharing!

Galina Varese said...
October 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM  

For a Russian expat, this is a blast from the past. I remember we lovingly called this salad "Death to the nazis".
I must try it again.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...