Blackened Shad Roe & Sautéed in Butter



Shad was known as elft, the eleven fish, to the early Dutch settlers. It was on the 11th day of March each year that the first shad were caught and cooked on a plank, a method the settlers learned from the Indians. Shad were so abundant in colonial days that it became quite fashionable among some of the well-to-do. Many of them ate shad on the sly, fearing others would think them unable to afford more expensive food.

Shad is particularly bony fish. An Indian legend has it that the shad was a discontented porcupine that asked the gods to be changed, following which it was turned inside out.

Shad has a rich, sweet, very distinctive flavor, a high fat content, and a perfect texture for broiling, baking, pan-frying, or poaching. A further harbinger of the advent of spring is yet another special treat given to us by the shad - the delicious and delicate roe.

Shad roe comes in skeins or sets, joined by a thin membrane. One important rule when you cook the roe, always handle the roe with great care and don't separate the halves until after you've cooked them. Also, plunging them into iced water before you cook them will firm them up a bit, then always cook them gently only until they are opaque or slightly firm, 8 to 10 minutes at most.



Note: Many people think shad roe should be parboiled or broiled, but such is not the case. This makes to hard and dry, whereas shad roe should be tender and juicy.

Ingredients:


Directions:

Melt the butter in a skillet but do not let it get hot and smoking. Dip the roe lightly in blackened seasoning and place in the pan. Let it simmer in butter, turning once during the cooking process. Season with salt and lemon juice, and serve with fresh salad.




Photography was done by my husband, because I was busy making him dinner-))

4 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...
March 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM  

I have never had shad roe, let alone made one myself. Wish I could get to taste some of yours :-)) I bet it's delicious.

La Table De Nana said...
March 27, 2015 at 5:32 PM  

I have never cooked this..Thanks for filling me in about it Yelena..

Meli said...
March 29, 2015 at 2:50 PM  

I love fried fish roe, Yelena! Did your family like it? We always fight to have the last piece ;)

Unknown said...
March 29, 2015 at 10:53 PM  

Meli, my husband and I are eating fish roe, but our kids don't like it-))) For us it is very tasty and delicate. I am glad you like it too. I wonder how you are cooking it?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...