Brown Soda Bread with Buckwheat Flour & Molasses



Soda bread has long been a staple in Ireland. It is a bread made without yeast, because baking soda mixed with buttermilk is used as a leavening agent. A cross is cut into the top of the bread to help it rise and, according to Irish folklore, to either ward off evil or let the fairies out.

This bread is different from soda bread I baked a couple of years ago, it is more rustic and has earthy flavors. I like it that way, it brings me to an old Irish pub, where you can have a mutton stew with bread and butter and a pint of Guinness.



Makes: 1 loaf

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups bread flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 3/4 cups buttermilk (I used kefir)
  • 2 Tbsp. molasses

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. In another bowl whisk together buttermilk and molasses. Using a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment combine together dry and wet ingredients. Knead lightly to a rough dough.

Shape the dough into a circle and place on the lined baking sheet. Use a sharp knife to cut a deep cross on a top. Cover with kitchen towel and let it rest at room temperature for about half hour.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 400F and bake for another 25 minute, until the button of the bread sounds hollow when tapped.

Cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm with butter.


8 comments:

FLAVZCORNER said...
March 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM  

Wow the bread looks cool with its shape. I bet it tastes good!!

Angie's Recipes said...
March 2, 2015 at 2:05 PM  

It looks so beautiful and has such a perfectly dense crumb.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...
March 2, 2015 at 2:19 PM  

A beautiful loaf! Now that's how I love m soda breads (brown, flavourful and healthy)...

Cheers,

Rosa

Medeja- CranberryJam said...
March 3, 2015 at 3:56 AM  

Looks so good! I imagine tastes lovely :)

Anonymous said...
March 3, 2015 at 10:53 AM  

With our 3 week summer just about at an end and our temperatures taking a dive and some of the trees telling us that it is going to be an early autumn and most probably a cold winter, I see recipes like this and they make me enormously happy. What could be more comforting and hearty than a big bowl of homemade soup and a few chunks of this gorgeous, dark and rustic loaf. You always know just what to add to a recipe to take it to the next level and add your own particular flair to it Yelena. I love the look of this bread and it's simplicity and wholesome good looks. I can see Serendipity Farm rocking quite a few loaves of this grainy happiness over the next few months. Thank you for sharing this scrumptious recipe with us all. I am going to head off to your recipe page to find some gorgeous soups to make with it. I have lots of beetroot this year, they grow so easily here, and so a lovely borsht might be the way to go, only I will use veggie stock and will veganise mine :)

La Table De Nana said...
March 3, 2015 at 3:53 PM  

Hi again Yelena..I was going through past posts of yours for the salmon tatrtare as I have found 4.. just waiting for the girl to deliver..But I just wanted to say..my you have treated us to gorgeous photography!
Still Life..and not ..cookies.. Easter ..Christmas.. every day♥

Unknown said...
March 3, 2015 at 4:10 PM  

Thank you my lovely readers for your warm comments, they make me so happy that you enjoy my recipes and photography!

Best wishes!!!!

Yelena

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...